When you first set up your early learning service or at the start of each year, you can create multiple children's profiles quickly in one go.
Early learning services who use QikKids for their childcare management software can export a list of their children to upload to Storypark.
In this guide, learn about:
Getting the information you'll need
1. Log in to QikKids.
2. Click on 'Reports'.
3. Click on report type ‘Children’.
4. Select the ‘Child Information Summary’ report (double-click):
5. Export Excel Spreadsheet to email:
6. Retrieve the Excel Spreadsheet from your email and open the document.
7. Delete all columns except for 'ChildLast', 'ChildFirst', 'Gender' and 'DOB':
8. Rename your columns and change the order to 'First Name', 'Last Name', 'Birthday (dd/mm/yyyy)' and 'Gender (m/f)'.
9. Highlight all data within the Excel Spreadsheet.
10. Go to the menu section ‘Data’ and ‘Remove Duplicates’:
11. Highlight the ‘Gender’ column and replace ‘Female’ with ‘f’. Replace ‘Male’ with ‘m’.
12. Highlight the ‘Birthday’ column and ensure date format is in ‘dd/mm/yyyy’:
13. Save document as CSV file.
The steps to upload and create multiple child profiles
1. Go to your early learning service's ‘Children’ page.
2. Find the Add new child link and under this click or add multiple children:
3. Under ‘Step 1’, download and open the spreadsheet template provided:
4. Copy and paste each column of children's details from your QikKids file to the Storypark template you’ve downloaded. Begin underneath the headings ie. on row 2, making sure to follow the format provided exactly.
Here is a brief explanation of each column in the spreadsheet (please read this first if you have not uploaded this spreadsheet before):
The child's first name as you'd like it to appear on Storypark.
The child's last name as you'd like it to appear on Storypark.
Make sure the dates are entered in the format DD/MM/YYYY. If your format differs or the field is left blank, it will result in an error.
North American (YYYY/MM/DD) or Japanese users (MM/DD/YYYY) who have exported from another system will need to change the format of the Birthday column to UK or Australia.
In Excel, select the cells you want to format and press CTRL+1. On a Mac, press Control+1 or Command+1. In the Format Cells box, tap the Number tab then in the Category list, tap Date.
This has three options - m/f/? If you don't want to mark a child's gender, either leave this box blank or put in a '?' When their profile is added to Storypark, this section on their profile will read 'rather not say':
If you don't have rooms set up at your service already, adding a child's room here will also setup a new room at your service. Each room name must be exact, i.e. If one child's room is listed as 'Toddlers' and another 'toddlers', this will create two separate rooms at your service.
If you already have rooms set up at your service, you can add the name of an existing room at the service and the new child's profile will be added to it. Again you'll want to ensure the room name is exact, to avoid creating a new one.
Parent 1 and 2 email: (Optional)
❗Important: Adding emails here automatically sends the child's parents/guardians invitations to their child's profile as soon as you upload the spreadsheet.
If you haven't yet invited your teaching team or set up your service, you may want to wait before inviting parents/guardians. This field can be left blank if you do not want to send invites yet, and any Admin educator can invite them later.
If you are happy to invite parents as you add these profiles to Storypark, we recommend adding both emails at once. This is so that both parents get connected at the same time - if only one parent gets connected to the child's profile, they then need to invite all other family members from their login.
When you’ve finished click ‘Save’. Note: it must be saved in the same format provided (a .CSV file)
20. Click the Choose file button and find the template you’ve just edited (check your computer’s Downloads folder if you can’t find it).
21. Click the ‘Import’ button and wait for the children to be imported.
Each time you add multiple children, make sure you download a new blank template rather than reusing an existing one with children already added, so you don’t create duplicates of the children.
If some of the information in your spreadsheet is not formatted correctly, you may run into an error. You'l notice that the associated rows in your spreadsheet with the error will not be uploaded to Storypark.
You'll only need to fix the associated rows identified in the email and re-upload those - i.e. you do not need to keep the data of any children that uploaded successfully in the spreadsheet, otherwise this will create duplicate profiles.